(803) 646-3900                                                                                                                                                                    fbond@earthlink.net

Copyright © 2020
Virtually There Art and
Photography
​All rights reserved.

Rosewell Plantation in Gloucester County, Virginia, was a grand mansion, noted for the finest brickwork in the English colonies. Begun in 1725, it was one of the most elaborate homes in the American colonies.  Rosewell stood three stories high.  It was crowned with a parapet and twin octagonal cupolas with two flanking dependancies. on the north front that formed a forecourt.  Roswell contained fine paneling and wood carvings,  For more than 100 years Rosewell was the home of a branch of the Page family, one of the First Families of Virginia.  Through much of the 18th century and 19th centuries, and during the American Civil War, Rosewell plantation hosted the area's most elaborate formal balls and celebrations. The home burned in 1916.

The building of Rosewell was begun in 1725 by Mann Page I (1691–1730). In 1718 he had married Judith Carter, the daughter of Robert "King" Carter. Educated at Eton College and Oxford University in England, Mann Page was appointed to the Governor's Council of the Virginia Colony shortly after his return to Virginia. He embarked on construction of Rosewell in 1725, but died five years later before construction was completed..

The primary construction materials were brick, marble and mahogany, some of which was imported from England. Architectural historians believe that the 12,000-square-foot (1,100 m2) house, double the size of the Governor's Palace, may have been designed by Mann Page himself. Larger than any home built in colonial Virginia, Rosewell probably owed its design to the London townhouses [5] built to the stricter codes following the Great Fire of London.

Rosewell Plantation